Saturday 12 October 2013

MAMA AFRIKA

I remember Sartije Bartman, Olaudah Equiano and a tingling, burning sensation of anger journeys from the top of my head to the tips of my fingers and toes. I wonder how wicked humanity can be and the loss to Afrika that cannot be recanted, the years of torment and torture that cannot be erased. I then recall Miriam Makeba, Angelique Kidjo, Brenda Fassie, Mandela, Mongo Beti and a bubbling sensation of joy and pride travels through me, lightening up my face and heart with a smile. The bravery, pride, talent and intelligence of these pioneers has served as an inspiration to many, restored the pride of youths and exposed Afrika has experienced by Afrikans.

I then think about now, I think of African Americans and Black Britishs, of Africans who cannot be tainted with their culture or roots. I watch them jiggle their scantly clad bums on TV, I hear them being called hoes and bitches, I see them readily neglecting their legacy for the price of a red passport or green card inorder to be accepted.

I then ponder did our pioneers suffer in vain? Was there nothing gained? Will the oppressed oppress itself? Is Afrika fighting a war against itself? Building and destroying? Gathering and scattering?

Rise again Mama Afrika. Rise once and for all!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment